Contributed by klstacy_home
Description: Fire in Anderson's StoreDate: December 2 1886
Newspaper published in: Huntsville, AL
Source: Madison County, AL Library
Page/Column: Page 3, Column 6
Montgomery, Ala., Nov. 29.--Fire broke out a little before 7 this afternoon in the cellar of P. J. Anderson’s store in the wholesale block on Commerce Street. His stock consisted of paints, oils, sashes and blinds, on four floors, and totally destroyed in spite of the prompt action of the fire department, good fire walls and magnificent service. The new water works kept the fire out of the adjoining stores, expect the roof and third floor of G. W. Cook’s wholesale grocery store. Considerable damage was done by water. The total loss is about $30,000. Four men were injured, none seriously.