Discover Your Ancestors in Newspapers 1690-Today!
Last Name
GenealogyBank.com
Huntsville Independent (AL)
Huntsville Independent (AL)
Contributed by klstacy_home

Description: Principal Gordon Broke His Neck;
Frank Kelly Saves Gin from Fire

Date: December 2 1886

Newspaper published in: Huntsville, AL

Source: Madison County, AL Library

Page/Column: Page 3, Column 6

Montgomery, Ala., Nov. 29.—The Advertiser’s Troy, Ala., special says: C. B. Golson, principal of the Golson school, accidently broke his neck this evening. He was trimming a tree and fell, hitting his head against a fence.
----------o---------
The Troy Messenger says: “Mr. Frank Kelly, of this county, saved his gin from burning a few days ago in the following cheap and novel manner: He keeps two barrels of water one on each side of his gin sitting on the floor, and an empty water-bucket close by. A few days ago, with a lint-room half full of cotton, while his gin was running at full speed, a match flashed in the saws and in instant the lint room was in a blaze all over. Mr. Kelly gathered his bucket and poured water into the gin without stopping and the brush showered it all over the lint room and put out the fire by the time it had singed over the top of the cotton. The lint room is thirteen feet square, and what this precaution did for Mr. Kelly it will do for every ginner in the South under like circumstances.”

Submitted: 02/13/20

Tags: (Please limit tags to surnames found within the article above)

Views: 60 views. Averaging 0 views per day.
In the most recent 30 day period, there've been 0 views.


Items (articles, comments, etc.) placed on the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists remain the property of the contributor. By submitting any item to this site, the contributor has granted permission to the Newspaper Abstracts website and associated mail lists to permanently display and archive the item(s) online for free access to the site visitor.